Tuesday 14 January 2014

January Health and Fitness Challenge: Week One Roundup

(Image from Fiona)


Phew, what a week! I realise that it's now Tuesday evening and I'm only just typing up last week's fitness challenge round up, and I wish I had a really exciting reason why I'm so late, but really it's all due to being on night shift for a week.For some reason when working nights, all I can handle doing is working, coming home, crawling into bed then simply getting up, getting ready and heading back to work. Any semblance of a life disappears for a couple of days. But, all is well and I'm off for a couple of days now and have plenty of time to catch up on blogging!

Last weeks challenges were super fun. So here's how I did:

Work out at least three times: I managed to do the first week of my half marathon training plan, which involved three 5k runs. The plan roughly follows the popular Couch to 5k plan for the first 9 weeks, so the runs involve running/walking for alternate intervals. It was raining every single time I went out, and I would have much rather lay in bed and snoozed away but as always, the endorphins kicked in when I was finished and it was all worth it. I went to one yoga class, which I'm trying to get back into big time. My aim is to go to a yoga class on each of my days off, as my mind and body absolute thrive on the mindfulness and stretching that yoga brings. This week's fitness schedule will be roughly the same with a body pump class or two thrown in for some strength training.

Eat at least 3 healthy vegetarian dinners: As I said last week, I am vegetarian, but the last few weeks have definitely not been healthy. This was the little push I needed to get my meals back on track. Generally, I eat really well. Lots of veggies, fruit, pulses and if it's possible I might drink a little TOO much water. I wanted to document my meals in pictures, but I picked up some extra shifts at work, so most of my meals were had there and it's not an ideal place to snap away at your dinner! I had a quorn and vegetable sweet chilli stir fry, a spinach and tomato omelette, quorn ceasar salad, red thai veggie curry, homemade pizza and spinach and chickpea curry. All veggie, all healthy, and all absolutely delicious.

This week's challenges are:

Fitness challenge:

Do the January Core Workout at least 3 times this week. No equipment required so no excuses!

Nutrition challenge:

Aim to substitute all coffees and energy drinks for decaffeinated coffee or herbal teas. Or go one better and aim to only drink water. You should aim for 1-2 litres a day and more if you are exercising.

I've not looked at the Core Workout yet, so I'm a wee bit scared, but I'll do it first thing in the morning after my run!

How are your January Goals going? I feel so much better about this moody little month knowing that I have things to focus on.

1 comment:

  1. Well done on doing so well in your first week! I'm taking part in janathon and jantastic and so far I'm on track with jantastic and missed two days of janathon, so not too bad all in all!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, so please leave a wee message!